This is a FREE beginner course looking at the application of geometry and pattern, while practicing reductive mark-making techniques on a Scratchboard.
Course Link to Skillshare
About the Project:
Students will be using reference to create a geometric rendition of their animal/ creature of choice. Beginners are recommended to find a reference that is already using geometric shapes within the composition to aid in application of pattern. Students are encouraged to modify their patterns and geometric shapes from their original reference.
1. Find animal reference & print
2. Place printed reference on top of scratchboard and trace over image with pencil or pen, pressing hard to leave indent.
3. Begin reductive mark making process of scratching out your image.
4. Add pattern
5. Make some of your lines thicker to bring emphasis to your focal point or to add eye movement.
6. Share your art piece and comment on your peer's artwork!
** Advanced students can use life photographs of animals and create geometric shapes to emphasize anatomy and features of the subject matter.
Scratch Art Tools